img_4100

My kitchen is in the basement of my rather old Victorian townhouse, and thanks to badly-done damp-proofing and our changing needs as a family, it had rapidly become a major source of apology to all who visited.  ‘Sorry it’s so cluttered!’, ‘sorry there’s nowhere to sit!’, ‘sorry, yes that wall does look like it’s about to fall down but please don’t worry’, ‘sorry yes those light fittings are rather dusty’.  And so on.

img_4093I dreamt of a new kitchen which solved all these problems and once baby #2 was on the way, it was a case of now or never.  It turned out to be a project and a half, the type when you wonder if the builders will ever move out, and they knew us all by name (and food preferences) down at Morrison’s cafe.  Anyway, all done now and it is amazing and I will write about it all here when I have time, but thought I would write tonight about a little pantry hack which turned out to be a very simple solution to a very annoying problem.

img_4094As part of the kitchen rework, I decided to knock through into the hallway to steal a redundant cupboard and use it as a pantry.  It’s not huge, but the storage capacity is fantastic and as well as all of our food, I decided I would keep our numerous trays and chopping boards in there too.  The pantry door is thick and sturdy and originally I was going to have a rail or two with Ikea storage boxes hanging off them, but it never seemed like it was going to work that well, and so the trays and chopping boards lay in a chaotic pile on the pantry floor.

img_4095Then one day when I was putting tea towels away, I found the unused pair of Abode tea towels from http://www.magpieline.com/ that I’d had for a while.  And that’s the real pain with nice tea towels – who wants to make them messy?  The ones in our house get used as oven gloves too on occasion and really didn’t want these ones getting the same abuse.  And that’s when I had the idea for the door holders – folded in half, the fabric design still looked great and they were the perfect size for the door and for all the trays and boards.

So one afternoon, I set to work – quick fold in half, then machine sewed down the edges.  Loops were made from scrap material and stitched on, then cup hooks were twisted into the door (I drilled the wood a little bit to start with to reduce the risk of the wood splitting).

img_4100And then 45 minutes after starting, they were both on the door and filled with stuff!  They’ve been up a while now and jolly useful they are too.  And I no longer have Unused Teatowel Guilt.

 

Advertisements