Yup, and I’m jumping for joy too, or rather I would be if I didn’t have a sleeping 7 month old strapped to my back (the only reason these days that I get ANYTHING done).

A quick recap: I bought the sofa cheap(ish) back in September with the intention of using it as our main sofa, once it was recovered.  And that was going to be a very straightforward job.

Ahem.

When I posted about it last week, I was halfway through, and not getting on so well.  The foam replacement was going to cost as much as the sofa itself, and after sourcing the fabric of my dreams at a bargain price, I promptly sewed half the covers using the wrong side of the fabric.  I tried to be ok with the wrong side, but in the end decided I had to unpick everything and start again.

img_9492
The sofa, straight out of the back of the delivery van

When I realised I had used the wrong side of the fabric, the base cushion covers were already up north getting new foam so I had to wait for them to be posted back, then pull them apart and resew the right way round.  Unpicking every stitch was absolute hell because the fabric was fraying like crazy and also one of the covers had been accidentally torn while with the foam company and so it took a lot of delicate unpicking and resewing of the repaired fabric.

img_0025
Just arrrrghhh and more arrrrghhghh

Once the base covers were resewn and the back cushion covers were done, I carefully inserted the foam cushions and closed the zips, and there was a nearly finished sofa, and all that remained was to replace the webbing and add the buttons.  The webbing actually still remains to be done, but I thought it would be a fun activity over Christmas once we’re bored of the telly.

img_0028
Nearly there – just need the buttons in place to finish it off

I did the buttons over a couple of late evenings – I think this was the part I found the most daunting as I’ve sewn loads of things before but never tufted a cushion.  The first challenge was getting the buttons aligned and after realising it was impossible to do it by sight, I made a large paper template with a grid of holes.  This was placed on top of the cushion and pins pushed through into the correct position.  Then it was a case of threading the needle with a button on it, pushing the needle through, attaching another button then doing a slipknot to pull the buttons tight.  I watched about a dozen different videos on slipknots before I finally managed to do one properly – thought I was never going to get it right!

img_0022
Ready to add buttons

I had just got to the point where I was getting good (or rather vaguely competent) at putting the buttons on when I reached into the paper bag where the buttons were stored and discovered there were none left.  Coincidentally, I was exactly halfway through…  And so it came to be that I had made another very stupid mistake and ordered only half the buttons I needed.  Luckily, after going back to the upholstery shop the next day with my Sad Mum Face on, they very kindly made me 24 more buttons on the spot and I was able to continue the following evening.

img_0023
Buttons, buttons everywhere but still not enough
img_9924
Perfectly aligned – one thing I did right

And so here it is, in its seal-grey (right side up), buttoned splendour.  Several people have said they prefer the original and that’s a fair point as it did look lovely, but it was worn in places and I wanted a grey sofa.

It’s been frustrating, terrifying, expensive, exhausting and tedious but ultimately rewarding too.  It’s not a professional job, but rather my best efforts on gin-fuelled, sleep-deprived energy and if it’s ok with you, I’ll just get on with sitting on it now and perhaps take up telly watching as an evening pastime while the sewing machine takes a little break…

img_0019
All finished and ready to be used!
Advertisements